8/5/12

Food and God. or God and Food.

well friends, it's been a while since my last weight loss update.
that's because i didn't want to admit that i've been failing miserably.

not that i've really gained anything (and for the last 2 weeks i have refused to get on the scale), but just my habits are bad. and that makes me feel gross.
i do not enjoy putting junk in my body.

so the other night while sitting at steak n' shake eating cheese fries, it hit me.
or god hit me.

there is a 100% correlation in how much time i'm spending with god and my eating habits.
stay with me for a second.
you see, our bodies are naturally created to crave things.
my body craves nurturing...from god.
but when i'm not spending time with him and allowing him to fulfill me, i tend to turn to food for that comfort.
which almost always ends up in me feeling worse.

this has been a major struggle all my life.

and while some people struggle with drugs, or alcohol, or sexual immorality, i struggle with food.

and sometimes, the food wins for a little while and becomes an all consuming evil.

thank god that he continues to nudge me to turn to him and let him help me with this.
and thank god that he continues to forgive me for putting more effort into my next meal than i do with spending 30 minutes with him.

our church service today was about how a little bit of bad can ruin all of you, if you let it.
one of the verses that really spoke to me was this:

Mark 14:38 (MSG) "...Stay alert, be in prayer, so you don't enter the danger zone without even knowing it. Don't be naive. Part of you is eager, ready for anything in God; but another part is as lazy as an old dog sleeping by the fire."


did you catch that? part of you is eager for god, but another part is lazy.
there will always be a part of me that is lazy and tempted. there will always be a struggle/battle between right and wrong.

but by staying alert and in prayer, you become aware that you're slipping into the wrong, or 'danger zone' as the verse calls it.

so today i was reminded that i was entering the danger zone.
and i went grocery shopping and bought all good and healthy things...fruits and veggies, etc.
we're getting my office area completely unpacked so that i have a designated spot for god time each day.
gym schedule is about to be made.

i know i can do this because i've done it time and time again.
but the ultimate answer to all my food related issues is simply this:
until i learn to fill my every need with god, my food issues will never go away.
it won't be fixed over night.
but if i can keep covering my issues with god, eventually i will overcome this.
because, as we all know, god is able. and in his name we overcome.



1 comment:

  1. It's an amazing discovery, really, Lauren... I'll be praying for you to stay strong on your journey with God! you're such a determined young lady, so please keep us updated on your blog, because your experiences will definitely inspire and encourage all of us to overcome whatever struggles we have!

    ReplyDelete