10/25/10

Day 4 - The Rents

So ya wanna know about my parental unit huh?
Well alright then, sit back and have a Prozac ready!

Meet Laura and James. These two love birds had a year long whirlwind romance. They were married. There was a pregnancy. Something happened (there are conflicting stories on this) and the marriage ended. This was all by the time of my mom being 5 months preggy.

So for 19 years I was raised by my momma. We were BFFs.
She was everything a mom should be and more. In 2006, she passed away unexpectedly in her sleep from what we believe to be a blood clot. Life changing.

When I was 19, I met my dad for the first time. I'm now 27, and we finally have a really good relationship. It has been a very long road to get to this point. I had a lot of questions that I needed answered. What I learned was that no matter what the answer, it didn't help/fix the situation. No answer would ever be good enough to satisfy me. After a few very heated heart to heart conversations later, we're on the road to building this relationship.
I learned that as long as I focused on the past I was robbing the future. Nothing can change the past. Nothing. The only thing I can control is the here and now.
I'm not gonna lie, it's hard and awkward sometimes. But at the end of the day, I want my dad in my life more that I want him out of it. Truth is, I need him.
Especially since my mom is no longer here.
I've already lost one parent. It's no fun.

What's funny is how you can be so much alike a person you weren't raised with. My dad is VERY stubborn. And ALL of his kids have that trait. So when we get mad at each other, it's quite the experience. I've learned to love this craziness that is my life. Somehow, it all comes together to make me who I am.

I'm so excited because we're going on our first vacation with my dad and brothers over the holidays! I can not wait! It's going to be soooo much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment