1/13/12

Life Lessons in 2012

So I realize it's only 13 days into 2012, but I'm already learning this year!
Let me share!

Chris and I started doing the Daniel Fast at the beginning of January. It's supposed to last 21 days, but we made it 8. And I have to say, I got a lot out of it. We're going to try it again for realio in a couple of months. Basically the fast requires you to eat only natural items. Nothing processed, no meat, no dairy, no bread/white flour. Just fruits, veggies, beans, nuts and whole grains. Oh and filtered water only to drink.

Needless to say, it was quite the experience. It actually wasn't THAT bad. I discovered the beauty of a peanut butter and grape smoothie = PBJ. Delish! Oh and almond milk was another wonderful discovery! Sooo good!

I was more energized through the day with no late afternoon crashes. My mood was better. I lost about 4 pounds. And after 3 months of my body refusing to have a period, I magically had one when my diet completely changed. Call it what you will, but I think it's all connected.

Apparently, my body quite enjoyed an all natural diet. Like really liked it.
Because, when I came off the fast and enjoyed some pizza as my first real meal, I got sick as a dog. I mean for real sick. Ewww.

And then the next day, when I thought "Ok, just readjusting" and I had the deliciousness of Zaxby's fried chicken sand and I then got really sick again.

So that got me to thinking about all the horrible things we put into our body and it just makes me nauseous to think about. I mean seriously, we really pay no attention whatsoever to the toxins we are poisoning ourselves with.

We went to dinner last night to use a gift card we had received for Christmas. I can honestly say that the food I ate was so unenjoyable (i think i just made that word up). I didn't even want to finish it.

And so, I'm on a mission to love my body more. To be more focused on what I'm eating. To go natural where possible. It's a bit more expensive of a lifestyle but so worth it. I think I'm going to cook as often as possible so I can control my ingredients. We will have 1 freebie meal, not day per week, but everything else will be thoughtfully put together. Now, I'm not heading the direction of becoming vegan or vegetarian. Just the direction of being more focused on what I consume.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!! I want to live that lifestyle, but it is expensive. I think if you are cautious and smart about it, money wont be such an issue.

    And almond milk is AMAZING! When it goes on sale or when I have a coupon I will buy it and drink a glass as dessert. Instant sweeth tooth killer...without the guilt

    ReplyDelete